COVID-19 has and continues to have an enormous impact on the aged care sector, with Geriatricians having played an important role in the COVID-19 response. Since the outbreak reached Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand in early 2020, we have been collecting resources that support the work of geriatricians to provide the best possible health service to older people during the pandemic.
- Principles for evaluation and use of COVID-19 vaccines in older adults by the Geriatric Sub Committee of the Clinical Division of IUPHAR (International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology).
- ANZSGM Statement on COVID-19 Response in Residential Aged Care Facilities.
Australian Human Rights Commission Guidelines on the rights of people with disability in health and disability care during COVID-19 (2020).
- COVID-19 Risk Assessment Tool devised by – Professor Kwang Lim, Dr Rosie Watson and Frances Crotty, Royal Melbourne Hospital.
ANZ–Melbourne Institute Health Sector Report
- The Impact of COVID-19 on GPs and non-GP specialists in private practice Report examines the impact of COVID-19 on GP’s and other specialists’ work patterns and mental health. It looks at how these doctors changed the organisation of their practices to adapt to the pandemic, and the support they received.
Cognitive impairment patients
- A resource to support health service organisations to provide safe care for people with cognitive impairment during COVID-19 by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.
Medicines Management during COVID-19
- Guidance on Medicines Management during COVID-19 by the National Clinical Evidence Taskforce.
- COVID-19 Fast Response – e-Learning courses from the University of Melbourne
The Department of Health’s MBS response to COVID-19 is regularly updated on MBS Online.
- The National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce has compiled a resource of emerging research that provides national, evidence-based guidelines that are regularly updated for the clinical care of people with COVID-19. The Taskforce includes peak health professional bodies across Australia whose members are providing clinical care to people with COVID-19.
COVID-19 Guidelines for Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities
- The Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) have developed these national guidelines for the prevention, control and public health management of COVID-19 outbreaks in residential care facilities in Australia.
COVID-19 Infection Control Training
- The Australia Federal Department of Health online training for Aged Care workers on appropriate health management techniques in all aged care settings. This 30-minute module covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
- The Doctors for Doctors site provides a directory of where you can access health care for stress and mental illness.
- Frailty in the Face of Covid, an article published in Oxford University Press Age and Ageing journal.
New Zealand Resources
- New Zealand Government COVID-19 information for disability and aged care providers including guidance on the use of PPE and admissions into residential care facilities at Alert Level 4.
- The following documents from Hospice New Zealand have been provided by our NZ Palliative Care colleagues and give practical advice on managing difficult tele-consultations, which are now part of our “new normal”. (Source Hospice NZ: COVID-19 for health professionals)
- Phone consultations – COVID-19 resource – V1 23 March 2020
- Communications tips for all stages – COVID-19 resources – V1 23 March 2020
- Goals of Care COVID-19 resource – V1 23 March 2020
- Giving serious news – COVID-19 resource – V1 23 March 2020
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guide on How COVID-19 spreads
- University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine has published a special COVID-19 edition of its e-magazine, Pathways, focussing on seniors’ health.