ANZSGM plays a key role in advocating for the care of older people through its work to influence policy and the allocation of resources. The Society is involved in various activities that help to achieve this:
- Working collaboratively with government and other medical bodies to develop new policy and improve existing policy by drawing on the clinical expertise of its members.
- Developing Position Statements about the various aspects of clinical care of older people approved by the ANZSGM Council.
- Maintaining networks with other professional organisations and developing the profile of Geriatric Medicine in the Asia Pacific region
- Promoting research in service development, clinical practice and basic science.
- Working with the Australian Association of Gerontology (AAG) and the Council on the Ageing (COTA) to produce the Australasian Journal on Ageing.
- Representing geriatricians in private practice to achieve improved remuneration for the complex care of older patients.