Being a member of ANZSGM confers many benefits, including opportunities for involvement in your professional association, access to the collegiality and professional development opportunities essential to your future in geriatric medicine, and access to significant resources that enhance your training and future practice.
The society is active in lobbying for improvement and innovation in aged care medical services and the professional needs of geriatricians, something you can contribute to as a member of the society.
The Society provides:
- Ongoing support to achieve professional competencies
- Advocacy on behalf of its members to bodies including the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Supervision in the training of specialists in geriatric medicine
- Ongoing learning opportunities as a advanced trainee and consultant geriatrician
- Opportunities to become involved in leadership roles within the society and as a representative of the Society
- Opportunities to become an Advanced Trainee representative on the Society committees
- Representation by the Society at Government planning and policy meetings
- Representation by the Society to specialty groups (e.g. Hip Fracture Registry)
- Support and promotion of research in all aspects of ageing – service development, clinical practice
- Alerts to training and job opportunities in Australia and New Zealand
- Specific scholarships for geriatric medicine trainees
|Trainee Membership||Trainee Membership status will be granted to individuals who are medical practitioners currently registered in a training program in geriatric medicine and related disciplines.|
|Full Membership||Full Membership status will be granted to medical practitioners who are committed to clinical practice, research, education and administration in geriatric medicine and closely allied disciplines. The requirements for full membership shall be prescribed by the Council from time to time as it sees fit.|
|Associate Membership||Associate Membership status will be offered to applicants for membership who are general practitioners with an interest in geriatric medicine.|
|Overseas Membership||Overseas Membership will be granted to individuals who are registered medical practitioners primarily resident in places other than Australia and New Zealand who demonstrate a commitment to clinical practice, research, education and administration in geriatric medicine and closely allied disciplines.|
|Retired Membership||Retired Membership status will be offered to those Full Members who have retired from practice, at the discretion of the Finance and Administration Committee.|
|Honorary Life Membership||Honorary Life Membership status will be awarded by the Society to those Full Members who, at the time of retirement, in the determination of the Council in its absolute discretion, have made an outstanding contribution to the Society or to geriatric medicine. Such individuals shall, for the term of their lives, enjoy (on a complimentary basis) the rights and privileges of Full Membership.|
To begin your application to become a member of the ANZSGM, please review the How to Join page below.